Metallic mercury is highly toxic by skin absorption, inhalation, and ingestion. The risk of potential exposure for Lab workers whenever they break mercury-filled thermometers is limited. However mercury may infiltrate cracks in benches and the floor or spread beneath equipment and instruments. The contamination is deceptive and problematic to remove wholly. The difficulty is expanded if the thermometer breaks in a water bath or sink.
One of the best methods for eliminating this hazard and metallic mercury in labs is to replace all mercury thermometers with non-mercury instruments such as spirit-filled or digital units.
Alfaisal University is committed to eliminate all mercury based instruments.