Basic Biological Spill Kit:
Disinfectant (bleach 1: 10 dilution, prepared fresh)
Absorbent Material (paper towels)
Waste Container (bio-hazard bags, sharps containers)
Personal Protective Equipment (lab coat, gloves, eye and face protection)
Mechanical Tools (forceps, dustpan and broom)
As with any emergency situation, stay calm, call Campus security if necessary, and proceed with common sense.
Call the Safety Officer at 8905 firstname.lastname@example.org;
and the Facility Dept
Person: Mr. Mousa AlMalki.
Office ex: 7853
if further assistance is required especially if the spill outgrows the resources in the laboratory.
In the event of a spill of infectious or potentially infectious material, the following spill clean-up procedure should be used.
- Wear gloves and protective clothing, including face and eye protection if indicated.
- Cover the spill with cloth or paper towels to contain it.
- Pour an appropriate disinfectant over the paper towels and the immediately surrounding area (generally, 5% bleach solutions are appropriate; but for spills on aircraft, quaternary ammonium disinfectants should be used).
- Apply disinfectant concentrically beginning at the outer margin of the spill area, working toward the centre.
- After the appropriate amount of time (e.g. 30 min), clear away the materials. If there is broken glass or other sharps involved, use a dustpan or a piece of stiff cardboard to collect the material and deposit it into a puncture-resistant container for disposal.