The Safety Officer is a member of safety office and of the University Laboratory Safety Committee, responsible for managing the University’s Laboratory Safety Program in accordance with the University Laboratory Safety Committee deliberations. S/He reports directly to the University Laboratory Safety Committee.
With the support and supervision of the University Laboratory Safety Committee (ULSC), the Safety Officer specific responsibilities are to:
- Maintain current knowledge of laboratory safety regulations and guidelines also thorough the implementation of Training sessions with the approval of and planning from the University Laboratory Safety Committee.
- Provide technical guidance in the development of policies and procedures regarding biological safety.
- Inspect at least every three months, using the approved checklist (see Annex) all the laboratories in the various Colleges to monitor compliance with laboratorySafety policies and procedures.
- Provide general biological safety training for laboratory personnel (and laboratory specific training upon request).
- Assist Laboratory personnel in evaluating and controlling bio-hazards.
- Suggest to the ULSC and Implement through the decisions of the ULSC corrective actions as necessary.
- Control and ensure proper Management of biological waste generated in instructional and research laboratories.
- Continually evaluate and improve the University’s Laboratory Safety Program.
- Provide technical assistance in all matters of laboratory safety.
- Inspect laboratories to monitor compliance with all Alfaisal University laboratory safety policies and procedures.
- Reports routinely the results of this inspections to the ULSC, the Dean or the Deans in case of shared labs, and the Lab manager for action to be taken
- Provide initial, general laboratory safety training for laboratory personnel with the guidance and contribution from experts selected by the ULSC when appropriate.
- Serve as primary point of contact with local officials regarding applicable regulations and reporting requirements in the area of laboratory safety.
- Assist laboratory personnel with the evaluation and control of laboratory hazards (physical, electrical, chemical and biological).
- Coordinate with the Department of Fire Safety and Emergency Planning regarding spills or releases and fire safety.
- Maintain all laboratory safety audit, inspection, and monitoring documentation.